The idea of p≡p (pretty Easy privacy) was conceived in the summer of 2012 when Leon and Volker put their heads together to develop an automatic and easy-to-use solution to protect privacy in written digital communications. The first algorithms were developed in the winter of the same year. Work on the first implementation started in the summer of 2013 after the Snowden revelations and the first version of engine was running by winter 2013. By May 2014, the p≡p version of MS Outlook was in pilot stage and subsequently a pre-release was published in September 2014, along with the crowdfunding campaign launch.
We believe everyone deserves privacy and security by default and without hassle when sending emails. With the p≡p we are set to finally deliver free software for what the cypher-punk movement has been striving for since the late 1980s: Easy Encryption for Everyone! The p≡p engine is Open Source, and the p≡p software is free for the Internet community and the consumers.
A Swiss foundation owns all the open source code and receives part of the proceeds from our commercial business. Similar to how the Mozilla and the Apache Foundations operate, these funds are then invested to support other privacy related open source software projects.
We have offices in Luxembourg and in Switzerland. You can learn more about our team here. Please visit http://pep.foundation to find out more about the free software project. Please feel free to send us your bio if you think you’d be a good fit to join our company.
Our purpose is to defend the right to privacy and security online. Our vision is to offer an automatic and easy to use solution to make all end-to-end written digital communications over the Internet ‘Private and Secure by Default and Design‘. We are committed to developing and broadly distributing complete and transparent software solutions for easy protection of privacy. Our goal is to become the leading experts in Online Privacy and Security.
Leon Schumacher is the co-CEO and co-founder of p≡p, a leading provider of next-generation tools for end-to-end encryption and zero-trust-architecture (ZTA).
Schumacher is an internationally recognized security expert and entrepreneur. His entrepreneurial background and ability to identify new technologies to solve security and privacy problems have enabled him to drive innovation to market over the past decade.
He has more than 25 years of experience in the security space, including extensive experience running IT and security organizations across the globe. His prior roles at Novartis and ArcelorMittal as Group Chief Information Officer for a decade had him running organizations of 2500 employees across the world with yearly budgets of $2.5 billions.
Schumacher also served on boards and advisory boards of several technology and security companies, including Blue Coat and SAP.
His entrepreneurial experience started with IT Security services, followed by the creation of p≡p and Taler Systems, a start-up focusing on tokenization, digital cash and private payments.
- Worldwide CIO of Novartis, the leading pharmaceutical group
- Worldwide CIO of ArcelorMittal, the largest steel producer with over 300’000 employees
- Senior positions in IT and Finance with Arcelor and ARBED
- Post MBA, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University (USA)
- MS in Management, HEC Paris (F)
- MS in Electrical Engineering / Communications, ETH Zürich (CH)
Volker Birk is recognized as a genius software architect and activist in the opensource space. Volker wrote his first software program at the age of thirteen and started his first business at the age of sixteen when he developed professional, commercial software for renowned customers in the shipping-, advertising-, manufacturing-, and other industries. Volker is a serial entrepreneur, chief software architect and CEO since more than 30 years. Volker is the quintessential genius behind p≡p, the world’s first Crypto Security Software.
Volker combines the very unique skill set of vast experience and knowledge across the tech universe and beyond. He finds most creative solutions where legions of others fail to understand the problem. He is the mastermind behind the p≡p protocols which solve the problem of automated peer-to-peer key-, identity- and trust- management. The p≡p protocols will fundamentally change the cyber security industry for decades to come.
Volker is an active member in the community supporting projects for privacy, security and freedom. Volker has made p≡p the answer to solve the global cyber security protection problem and bring the cyber criminals’ party to an end.
Over the last 30 years Volker worked as an independent software architect building systems and solving problems for clients across multiple industries and countless technology and software platforms.
Volker stopped continuing his studies when he was asked by Prof. Dr. Hans Ott to hold master lectures in Ulm instead. Since, he held lectures at the University of Heidenheim for eleven years – whereof six years as a member of the examination board - without ever finishing any university program.
Rudolf Bohli is a highly passionate entrepreneur and investor. As an activist hedge fund manager Rudolf led several ground-breaking campaigns and completed transactions for change at under-performing companies. He advocated for implementing new innovative strategies, cutting-edge technologies, stringent corporate governance, building high-performing teams and aligning management compensation with performance. Rudolf is a strong believer that technology is the greatest catalyst for change. As an investor Rudolf has a sharp eye for detecting new mega trends before they become a common place. At p≡p, he is excited to collaborate with a world class team to bring the vision to life and make p≡p the most relevant cyber security company of its time.
- Founder, CEO and CIO of RBR Capital a boutique investment firm
- Head of Research at a boutique investment bank
- MA in Electrical Engineering, ETH Zurich
Robert Goldmann is a relentless and passionate finance executive. He understands how to manage the lifeblood of the company with great oversight and a laser-sharp focus for details. Robert keeps challenging the organisation and top management about the necessity of each budget item with a rigorous understanding of all the aspects for the business. Robert is a great communicator and listener which allows him to fine-tune and anticipate the needs of the company. Robert has been with the p≡p since its inception and made sure that p≡p is always prepared for the next level.
- CFO of Go To navisend AG, St. Gallen
- Adviser, Lecturer and Coach: Axa, Siemens, Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University, University of Cologne of Applied Sciences, University of Cologne and University of Hagen
- Master’s Degree in Economics, University of Cologne
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Cologne University of Applied Sciences
Florian Ernst is a recognized specialist with strong customer focus, leveraging his broad know-how in accounting, finance, audit, private markets and strategic corporate development in the financial services industry. He is instrumental in bringing the organization to the next level ensuring world-class product and service delivery to our clients.
- Global Head Private Equity Distribution, Deutsche Bank Asset & Wealth Management
- Product Specialist Private Equity UBS AG
- Chief Financial Officer Horizon21 Group
- Co-Head Corporate Finance/General Secretary JFE Hottinger Group
- Audit Senior Deloitte & Touche
- Swiss certified public accountant (CPA)
- MBA and PhD from the University of St. Gallen (HSG)
Beat Geissler joined p≡p as investor and Senior Advisor to the Board to align p≡p with the leading stakeholders and thought leaders in the space of crypto security software. Beat is connecting the dots to make p≡p the leading next generation, fully automated endpoint-to-endpoint encrypted communication solution for corporate customers; one of the most powerful cyber defense weapons available in the global marketplaces.
Beat is a recognized senior executive driving digital transformation and disruptive business models working with agile tech-companies as well as complex, multi-national organizations unlocking sustainability and growth outcomes in equal measure allowing business to soar. Acting as CEO, Development Officer, Board Member and Executive Advisor he creates value by identifying, acquiring, transforming and integrating business entities in various industries and organizations focused on all aspects of operational excellence from front to back. Beat co-founded and funded various start-ups developing and leading the road maps for strategy, operations and technology development co-working with global leaders and customers in financial services, automotive, aerospace, automotive supply and manufacturing.
- Founder, CEO, COO, Board Member and Investor in several start-ups
- Managing Director, UBS Center of Business Excellence Program
- Partner, and Founding Member of Egon Zehnder’s Technology Practice
- Consultant, Farner Consulting AG
- MBA, from the University of Michigan – Stephen M. Ross School of Business
- MA, Economics & Political Science from the University of Geneva
Uwe Sommer recently joined p≡p as chief communications officer and investor to build p≡p into the leading cyber security brand globally. Uwe has a proven track record in building brands in the fast-moving consumer goods segment around the world. With more than 40 years of experience in marketing, sales and as a CEO of blue-chip companies, Uwe is a quintessential expert about the dreams and desires of people. He will put the necessary processes in place to make p≡p one of the most desired brands for consumers and businesses alike.
- CMO of Upfield, carve out from Unilever
- CEO of the Müller dairy group
- Senior Vice President at Lindt and Spruengli, running Global Marketing, Sales and Retail as well as country organisations
- CEO J&J Austria
- Marketing at the Mars Group
- Marketing and Sales at Procter and Gamble
- Master of Arts in Marketing
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- Master in Economics, University Kiel, Germany
Florian Reiter acts as Senior Advisor to the Board at p≡p pEp Security AG for business development in the financial industry.
Florian Reiter brings a wealth of experience in introducing and scaling innovative technologies in the financial sector. He is an innovation, transformation, and technology leader, having managed numerous quant and technology transformation projects in financial centers across the globe over the last 10 years. Prior to this, he held positions in banking at top tier institutions in London where he was specializing in derivatives transactions both in the interbank as well as the corporate markets.
- Several senior advisory roles in tech start-ups, fintech and consulting companies
- Deputy CEO, COO and Partner at swissQuant Group
- Front office positions on the trading floor at JPMorgan and the Royal Bank of Scotland
- MSc Quantitative Finance, ETH&UZH Zurich
- Postgraduate Degree in Economics, London School of Economics
- BSc Economics and Finance, University of York